Tuesday, January 6, 2015

January Book Reads

First of all, I really want to thank everyone for their input on my post from Sunday! To update everyone, I do think I'm going to try switching to self-hosted Wordpress. Having said that, I have no idea what I'm doing. So any other tips/tricks/advice is always welcome!

Something I forgot to mention in Sunday's post that I want to address now - I've decided on a posting schedule. In the past I was a lot more "willy nilly" with my posting and completely inconsistent. I liked this and I didn't. I liked having freedom, but I'm a little type A, so not having a set schedule annoyed me and more than anything else, it made me lazy. I've decided now that I will be posting blog posts consistently on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. That will mean a minimum of 3 posts a week and it'll be something my readers and friends can count on. Any posting on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays will be considered bonus posts! But I will not guarantee that they will exist week to week.

Moving right along to a bonus Tuesday post!

Yesterday Jen posted a fabulous 12 Month Book Challenge and I decided I needed to make it happen. It helps that she posted this on the same day I pledged on Goodreads for their 2015 Reading Challenge to read 20 books this year. I originally pledged to read 30 books, but realized with everything I have going on this year I might be setting myself up to fail.

20 books in a year is slightly less than 2 books every month, which is perfect because some months will be more hectic than others. This month I've decided to try to read THREE to get a head start.

In December I started trying to read before bed every night instead of playing on my phone, because I think my phone plus my laptop were factors in my inability to fall asleep most nights. Reading has been helping, so that's my current plan.

My books I chose for January are as follows..



Girl Online by Zoe Sugg

Penny has a secret. 
Under the alias GirlOnline, she blogs about school dramas, boys, her mad, whirlwind family - and the panic attacks she's suffered from lately. When things go from bad to worse, her family whisks her away to New York, where she meets the gorgeous, guitar-strumming Noah. Suddenly Penny is falling in love - and capturing every moment of it on her blog. 
But Noah has a secret too. One that threatens to ruin Penny's cover - and her closest friendship - forever. 

Zoe is a very popular British YouTuber, whom I watch pretty consistently. I like Zoe and I like her videos, she vlogs as Zoella, and I like her friends. This is her first book, which was released in November. I ordered it the week it came out and it's been sitting around waiting for me to read it ever since. I just like supporting people I like and who I think deserves it. Sue me.

Paper Towns by John Green

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge—he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues—and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew...

A good friend of mine read this last year and she texted me and recommend it, so I told my sister, who actually bought this for me for my birthday last year. I just never got around to reading it, so now, a year later, I'm making myself finally read it. It also fits into Jen's 12 Month Challenge: A book that's been on your to-read list for over a year. I mean, almost a year, whatever. I'm a cheater.


SEX...
What is it about men anyway? Bad cars, bad jobs, even bad teeth -- nothing convinces them that they can't snare a Size Two Babe with a D-cup chest. And after way too many internet dates with men named "luvstick" and "bigdaddy182," Lucy Rothschild should know.
LIES...
But sitting across from her now is "hardluvnman," and he seems different -- sensitive, honest, and hot! He says he's a plumber, while Lucy claims she's a nurse! She's really a mystery writer, dating online while researching her next book. Hey, everyone lies a little, don't they?
AND ONLINE DATING...
But Quinn's really an undercover cop hunting down a serial killer, and he sees Lucy as his top suspect. And while he could really go for this smart, sexy woman with the killer bod -- if that's the only thing "killer" about her -- he knows he needs to wine and dine her and discover the truth. Hey, he realizes the dating scene can be deadly -- but this is ridiculous!

I have a few Rachel Gibson books and I liked them all, some of them quite a bit. Mostly though, this book was on my shelf of books I've purchased that I haven't read yet. I've mentioned the store Half Price Books before and it just sucks me in every time and then I leave with a book or two. Now that "book or two" has grown into an entire shelf of books I haven't read. I chose a light, easy read to follow up Paper Towns, which I don't think is going to be light and easy.


Want to read any of these with me this month? OR what're you reading instead?

12 comments:

  1. I've been looking for good book recommendations because, lately, all I've been reading is $2 trash stories that I can buy at 3am on my Kindle, haha! These three look interesting, and I'm definitely looking into that book challenge! Thanks for sharing! Any other books you would suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on the 20-book challenge this year! If you manage 3 per month, you can easily exceed your goals. You have an interesting list for this month, and I'd give them a read once I'm done with mine, which are mostly non-fiction. For me, I'm just trying to read up on finances so that I could become more financially literate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohh Good suggestions! I joined up with Anne from Love the Here and Now for their blogger book club. This month we are reading Dark Places by Gillian Flynn and it was soon good. Next month is The Rosie Project. I like the book club because it kind of holds me accountable. I'm hoping that once school starts I'll still have time to read for pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paper Towns is one of my favourite books, I have no clue how many times I've read it. I haven't had the motivation to read at all and so I haven't even thought about reading Girl Online yet, it's just sitting beside my bed, but hopefully I'll read it soon. Good luck you'll have to keep us updated on how your doing :)

    Lisa
    Sumptuous Elixir

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always try to read the book before I see the movie and I loved the trailer to Wild, so I'm reading it now and it's so good. I love Paper Towns! All of John Green's books are good reads.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl Online looks fabulous!! Paper towns is on my list, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just posted about books today! You have to go check out my recs; hopefully a few will help you fill in your year :) And if you want help on the hosting switchover, just let me know! I'd love to get together with you one Saturday and just bang it out with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I have a Rachel Gibson book that I picked up I haven't read yet. I'm a little nervous to read Paper Towns. I don't handle sad books very well, but I've heard great things about it so it's on my TBR. Good luck with your 20 books!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read any of these so I am looking forward to your reviews. Love John Green!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read any of these either, but Paper Towns is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am intrigued by all of them. The problem is I always add books to my list and it takes me forever to actually go buy them. I am going to try harder this year though to buy books on my list versus whatever I find in the store. I will add these for sure

    ReplyDelete
  12. I added all three to my Goodreads "to read" list. Right now I'm currently reading Jealousy which is the third book in a series about vampires, werewolves, and the like. I found out about the series when I was reading The Vampire Academy series and saw a picture of the first book and it had some catchy line to lure me in.

    ReplyDelete

I love you people! Let's be friends.

Like This Post? Then You Might Also Like..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...