Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Lifestyle Changes

I've gotten a couple questions in the last few weeks about my "diet" (ew, nasty word) and my new fitness lifestyle change. Because I'm attempting to avoid writing about and thinking about a list of other topics, I'm going to talk about this. I'm the master of avoidance.

So... Okay..

Why Is This Time Different?
I'm started an exercise plan a hundred times and I've started diets probably a thousand times. I've even been "really serious" about it a few times. So why is this time special? I don't know. I don't have a good and magical answer for anyone.
I haven't had a big health scare that kicked my ass into gear.
I don't have a wedding or other big event that I'm losing weight for.
There isn't one thing about this time that makes it any different from any of the other times. Nothing except the way I feel. This time is different because it feels different.



No, Really.. What Makes This Time Different?
I know myself a lot better than I knew myself before. Instead of battling against myself, I've learned to work with myself.
Here's what I mean by that..
-I can't trust myself to do workout dvds regularly at home on my own. So I joined a gym with a friend. We keep each other accountable. The act of physically leaving my apt and going to the gym is another mental thing for me too. It gets me ready to workout and push hard through an entire workout. I tried the at-home gym thing, several times. At this stage, it doesn't work for me. I'm hoping that's not forever, but that's where I am today.
-I like instant gratification. Obviously, losing weight and changing my body isn't an instant thing. I had read so many blogs about how terrible it was to live and die by the scale, so I had totally freaked myself out and only weighed myself once a month. Doing this wasn't working for me. The last few weeks I've weighed myself once a week and that's working much better right now. If I've lost, I feel good and I can have a little party with myself. If I've gained, I can easily look at my week and figure out what I've done wrong. This is not going to work forever. Eventually I absolutely see myself going back to weighing myself once a month. However, right now, to get going, I need to see the changes quicker than that.
-Losing weight isn't enough motivation for me. This is a weird one. You'd think that it'd be more than enough, but it's been years and apparently it's not. I seriously don't understand that, but hey, there it is. So, a few weeks ago I made mini goals. Just a few other things for me to work toward. I want to run a 5k, so I'm running. I have zero arm strength, so I'm going hard on arms. So I'm focusing on those two things right now and eventually I'll add more. I have no butt, zero butt, so I'm eventually going to start a squat challenge and get myself a little booty. Holla.
-Sometimes I don't want to cook dinner or prepare lunches. Now, I don't give myself the option. It's a convenience thing and it's a lazy thing. It's easier to get Subway or Taco Bell or eat a pizza lunchable. Easier. Not better. So the last few weeks I've meal planned hard on Sunday and then cooked 90% of my meals for Mon-Thurs on Sunday. I don't ever want to do it, but I have to or I know I'll make bad decisions through the week. Right now, it's working. I make the meal plan and I follow that meal plan. So there's not thinking during the week.
-I love carbs. Oh man, carbs, carbs, carbs.. and cheese. Oh cheese. Look, I've been there, I've tried it, I've done it. I've tried completely cutting things out of my diet to lose weight. It's never worked. Because it's not realistic. I like those things, so when I can't have them at all, I freak out and binge. My strategy now is to limit them. I still eat them, just less often. I fill out my meals with veggies now. Do I always love it, no.
-It's so mental for me. Now that I know that and now that I've completely accepted that, things are coming together. I'm my very worst critic and I know this. I wouldn't ever let anyone speak to me the way I talk to myself sometimes. So I've stopped.



I Don't Know What I'm Doing
Look, I'm just making this up as I go.
I have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about 75% of the time.
This is just where I am right now, today.
I hope with all my might that in a month or four that this isn't where I am. I hope I'm in a much better place.
Until then, I'm just chuggin along.

14 comments:

  1. i also heart carbs. it has been SO hard for me to change my lifestyle. im getting better at the diet portion but the working out. not so much. good for you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. It is all about figuring out what works for you! Everyone is different. The 5k is a really fun and achievable goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post just SPEAKS to me. Like so much. I mean it's all so true. This isn't about some event you are dropping 20lbs for, this for the REST OF YOUR LIFE and it's just not realistic for us to keep the things we love from ourselves forever. I promise you I will eat cheese and chicken tenders and pizza again. I will. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you girl! Lifestyle changes are the only changes that truly work. I recently have gotten into the habit of working out regularly (something I haven't done since high school) and I have to remind myself that there is "no end".... I mean, this is something that I need to do regardless of how much I weigh or if I'm feeling great! Staying fit means always doing it... not just for a month or two!

    So cheers to you! Get it!

    -Kate
    www.theflorkens.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you say losing weight isn't enough... and that you have set other goals, I think that is SUCH an important step in a person's journey to become healthier. Because there WILL come a point where you hit a plateau and you won't lose a single pound for three weeks, and that's when you'll need to focus on those other goals in order to not be diacouraged!

    I just started meal planning/prepping recently and no it isn't fun, but I know it will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl! I'm so proud of you for getting up at 5 a.m. and going to the gym...I can't drag my butt out of bed at 6 a.m. to work out, so I give you mad props! I'm trying to be healthy and get in shape too. I signed up for a 5k in May, and started the training plan this week. I also want to tone the rest of my body, so I'm going to work on that. And try to eat healthier. Good luck and stay strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we are all our own worst critics and that's why you saying this is so important... "Instead of battling against myself, I've learned to work with myself". hi that's like the best quote ever. it seems like your current mindset is setting you up for so much success! great job! <3
    i'm 100% with you on the home workouts and gym thing. i've spent so much money on home stuff only to stick with it for a month or less. the boyfriend and i joined the gym recently and it has been so consistent! and on the days where something comes up and we can't go, i get so bummed out about it. it's like i miss it when i'm not there. and having a gym partner is a huge help!
    i'm super curious of your whole meal prep routine. i NEED to do it and get it down to perfection so that it doesn't irritate me. i just joined the Tone It Up program so i'm about to throw myself into a whole meal planning and prepping tornado. and i have no idea where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so excited for you keep it up lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need external motivation too- I just won't ever be the person who thinks it's better to work out in my living room than sit on the couch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The at home thing isn't working for me either. I really wish I could find someone to work out with me. It would make a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love carbs and cheese too! I could never give them up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best of luck to you. I love carbs too. Pasta is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think as long as you're trying you're on the right track ... best of luck Kay x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think all the things you are doing are GREAT!!! And I'm the same way I have to have someone to keep me accountable!!

    ReplyDelete

I love you people! Let's be friends.

Like This Post? Then You Might Also Like..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...