Tuesday, July 29, 2014

21 Days? I Accept That Challenge.

My friend, my sister, and I started the 21 day fix yesterday. It's been a quick minute since I've talked about anything health related, so I've decided today it is!


First I should mention that we're kind of doing a modified 21 Day Fix. Mostly because we're all cheap and poor and didn't but the actual "kit". So we don't have the pretty colored containers and we don't have the Shakeology.

We found almost everything we needed on Pinterest. The few things we didn't find we copied from the 21 Day Fix book of someone else that we knew. I'm probably not supposed to tell you that, but whatever. Don't buy the "kit" unless you want Shakeology (i've actually heard great things about this), then you might as well. Otherwise, all of that info is online somewhere, for free. #TipsFromKay

Crash Course On 21 Day Fix
To explain it quickly - You first figure out your calorie count for each day, then you use their chart to figure out how many containers of each color you eat in a day. The colors coordinate with a food group.
Green - Veggies
Purple - Fruit
Red - Protein
Yellow - Starches/Carbs
Blue - Cheeses, Avocados, Nuts, Coconut, Hummus, and more
Orange - Dressings and Seeds
Tablespoons - Oils and stuff

All of those containers are also equal to measurements, such as 1 cup, 3/4 cup, 1/2 cup, etc. etc.

Day 1 Thoughts?
Yesterday was a smidge difficult. I wasn't prepared very well because I had forgotten until Sunday afternoon that we were starting on Monday. That caused a few problems because I didn't have time to go to the store so I had to use what I had to make the 1st day work.


There's quite a bit of prep work involved too. Mostly figuring out exactly what you're going to eat and when for an entire day so that you eat all of your containers and only those containers.

Yesterday taught me that I absolutely have to find ways to eat a Green container for breakfast. I didn't yesterday and I ended up have to eat 3 Green containers for dinner, plus 1 Red, plus 1 Yellow. I totally forgot about my Blue container yesterday. Poor planning.

Yesterday also taught me that I'm going to want to eat more in the morning and during the day. I didn't finish my dinner because I was so full. It just felt like a lot of food. I'm definitely eating a lot more right now than I usually do.

Modifications
I mentioned already that none of us are using Shakeology. There isn't some hidden reason in this, we are just really broke and didn't want to pay for it. In the 21 Day Fix program they have you replace one of your Red containers (protein) with the Shakeology. My friend is using another kind of protein powder, shake thing. I'm not sure what my sister is doing. I originally was going to just eat a protein instead. Yesterday I had cottage cheese where I would've had a protein shake. However, because I felt like I was eating so much yesterday and I was so full, I decided to experiment with a few different protein shakes. I'll keep you updated.

Why I Chose 21 Day Fix
I don't do fad diets and I never have. I've never wanted to waste my time losing and gaining the same 7lbs and I've always wanted it to be a lifestyle change. I honestly think this 21 Day Fix is totally different, here's why - During the 21 days, I'm going to be eating things I usually eat and things I like! I've been trying for over a year to eat clean, but that's usually easier said than done. During these 21 days, I'm going to be forced to do just that. It takes 21 days to form a habit, that's no coincidence.

This isn't some diet where I'm eating eggs 4x a day or completely cutting out carbs or no dairy or anything. This is a 21 day plan that forces me to eat the way I've been trying to eat for over a year. Lots of veggies, lots of protein, little sugar, etc. etc. Things I already wanted to do. #LifestyleChange


I will definitely be keeping you guys updated on this. I'm so, so very curious to see how this goes and I'm sure you guys are too! Or maybe I just like to think you are.. Either way, I'm clearly not getting paid or perked for doing this, so you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be honest with you guys about these next 21 days.. Well, 20 days now.

Ps. Today is my half birthday, which means I'm halfway to 25 and totally NOT freaking out about it. Nope, definitely not freaking out. No freaking out here…. Obviously.

14 comments:

  1. I'd love to see how this goes! Like, if it's easy enough to plan ahead mayyyybe I could do it too? lol. #busymom...
    Also, side note my youngest is celebrating her half birthday today too which means you and Ainsley share a birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with it!!! I'm counting calories (post on Thursday) and I got back on track yesterday for good (lets home! haha).

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would try maybe a green smoothie in the morning then you get your green and it still tastes breakfast-y?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell me this. What does cottage cheese taste like? I have no idea what to expect, and therefore I just skip right over it at the store. Also. YOU'VE GOT THIS AND YOU'RE GONNA KICK 21 DAY FIX ASS

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got it girl, I am meal planning each week with snacks dinner etc all planned out I lost 4.5 lbs the first week by sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had been wondering why people on instagram referred to their food as colors. #outoftheloop

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my that is a challenge indeed. Best of luck on your journey! Nicole - www.craftmysoul.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY HALF-BIRTHDAY!
    Please do keep posting updates, I've never heard about this before but it sounds exactly like what I want to achieve too - just a healthy lifestyle change. May join you on that very soon!x

    www.lalalasunaina.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know a couple people who have done 21-day fix and love it! I hope you have great success with it and can't wait to hear your take on it. I'm bad at pre-planning when it comes to food (#realtalk).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to see how this works for you. I've seen it a few times, but I don't do fad diets either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck! Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to see what you think. This seems doable if you do the prep work. Good luck girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to hear more about this! I am very interested in this! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I love you people! Let's be friends.

Like This Post? Then You Might Also Like..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...